Assuring compliance and a fit for purpose estate
- Service: Estate and facilities management
- Client: NHS Property Services Ltd
Hull’s estate was made up of a range of property types, both owned and leased, some purpose built and some converted. The properties housed a variety of clinical and administrative services.
Due to the size and nature of the estate and the transition of the NHS, compliance was compromised and there was a build-up of back log maintenance. The property team within the NHS had reduced significantly and they sought a partner with a shared vision to:
• Improve services;
• Create a sustainable, compliant estate;
• Deliver high standards;
• Be responsive.
The team began to look at records, surveys and current procedures to obtain an understanding of how the estate had been managed up to that point. This included a review of the back log maintenance and compliance management of the 20 properties, all of varying ages and conditions.
Once a full gap analysis had been carried out, the team prioritised and coordinated remedial work across the estate and introduced a holistic estate management service which covered:
• Statutory checks and compliance management;
• A reactive maintenance service provision;
• An annual planned preventative maintenance programme;
• Minor works project management;
• A 24/7/365 local helpdesk service for all tenants, with a customer intranet for record keeping.
Following the implementation of the facilities management service:
• Statutory compliance is now delivered as standard;
• The monitoring regime is thorough and recorded on the customer intranet;
• Risk and back log maintenance have been significantly reduced across the estate;
• The compliance checks tie in with other planned and reactive maintenance, to save time and money;
• Annual savings on reactive maintenance costs have been generated;
• Tenants have one local point of contact for queries, works requests and updates.